Eton Mess was first seen in actual print in 1893! It was believed to originate from Eton College.
A traditional English dessert consisting of a mixture of strawberries, meringue and whipped cream. Spring and Summer in a glass don't you think!
500 g/1bs strawberries
400 ml/14 fl oz double cream
3 inch ready-made meringue nests (crushed)
1 tbsp ginger cordial (optional)
Fresh mint to garnish
1. Puree half of the strawberries in a blender and chop the rest for decoration.
2. Whip up the double cream until you achieve stiff peaks. Once this is done, fold in the strawberry puree and the crushed meringue.
3. Slowly mix in a few of the chopped strawberries and ginger cordial (if using).
4. Spoon in equal amounts on the dessert into 4 cold wine glasses or glass bowls.
5. Sprinkle on the rest of the chopped strawberries and a sprig of the mint.